Federal Government Links
SocialSecurity.Gov is the official website of the Social Security Administration.
Medicare.Gov is the official website for Medicare participants.
USA.gov is the official U.S. gateway to all government information and services.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid (CMS) is the federal agency that administers Medicare, Medicaid and the Childrens Health Insurance Program.
HealthCare.Gov provides information about health care insurance plans.
White House is the official website of The White House and The President of the United States.
U.S. Senate includes a directory of Senators and legislative activities in the Senate.
U.S. House of Representatives includes a directory of Representatives and legislative activities in the House.
Congress.gov provides legislative information from the Library of Congress.
Congressional Budget Office (CBO) assists Congress by preparing objective and impartial reports and analysis.
U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) is devoted to the welfare of the wage earners, job seekers, and retirees by assuring work-related benefits and rights
Employee Benefits Security Administration(EBSA) is the branch of the U.S. Labor Department committed to educating and assisting Americans covered by private retirement plans and health plans.
Pension Benefits Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) is the U.S. Government Agency with the responsibility of protecting the retirement incomes of Americans in private-sector defined benefit pension plans.
U.S. Department of the Treasury is responsible for formulating and recommending economic, financial, tax and fiscal policies for the U.S. Government.
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides America's taxpayers with help to understand and meet their tax responsibilities and enforce the tax laws.
Government Accounting Office (GAO) is an independent, nonpartisan agency that works for Congress to investigate how the federal government spends taxpayer dollars.
U.S. National Debt Clock shows the national debt and debt by state.
Medical Information Links:
The Benefits of Cooking with Alzheimer's: A Caregiver's Guide
Seven Steps to Staying Mentally Sharp as a Tack After 60
Alzheimer’s Disease and When to Stop Driving
Dementia Care Dos & Don’ts: Dealing with Dementia Behavior Problems
Preparing Your Home for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s: A Caregiver’s Guide
10 Stimulating Activities for Alzheimer's Patients
Everything You Need to Know to Prepare Your Home for a Loved One with Alzheimer's
Staying Sharp As You Age: Maintaining Cognitive Health
Well Travel: A Guide for Alzheimer’s Sufferers and Their Caregivers
Easy Day-Brighteners for Those with Dementia
Overcoming Apathy in Alzheimer’s
Guide to Coping with Alzheimer’s & Dementia.
Home Safety and Alzheimer's
The Benefits of Cooking with Alzheimer’s: A Caregiver’s Guide
Addiction & Recovery
Addiction & Recovery - Lumiere Healing Centers
American Addiction Centers
Drug Treatment Centers Locations
Healing After a Lifetime of Struggling with Addiction: The Senior’s Guide to Reconnecting with Adult Children
The Elderly and Prescription Drug Misuse and Abuse
Help prevent substance abuse
Seniors & Addiction. As the baby boomer generation continues to age, the demand for addiction treatment for older adults will continue to grow.
The 45 Warning Signs of Prescription Drug Abuse
Addiction Center provides the up-to-date information on addiction as well as reviews of top treatment centers across the country.
Guide to Addiction Prevention for Seniors
Issues from inhaling water vapor from an e-cig
Drug Rehab Connections
Drug Dangers is committed to providing information on a range of medications and medical devices that have serious complications.
Breast Cancer Research Foundation
The Caregiver’s Guide to Understanding and Prioritizing Aging-in-Place Accommodations
11 Exercise Ideas for Seniors
Pension Justice helps people recover their pension benefits is through class action lawsuits.
Safety for Seniors at Home
Information on Stair Lifts
Nutritional Considerations for Seniors and the Elderly
Guide to Home Accommodations for Persons with Disabilities
Drugs & Pharmaceuticals
Canadian prescription drugs order processing
Dangerous Drugs & Products
Online Pharmacy Search is an independent community, helping the customers to find a right place to buy medicines online. It is not an online pharmacy and hence neither sells medicines online nor processes customer orders.
Drugs.Com is an independent medicine information website for drug and related health information.
Good Rx can help you save at many U.S. pharmacies.
Blink Health has the mission to make prescription medications available at lower prices to Americans.
The Hospital Safety Score is a public service provided by The Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization committed to driving quality, safety, and transparency in the U.S. health system.
Johns Hopkins Medicine
Medicare & Insurance
Search by Insurance for Geriatric Care
Health Insurance Options a service to compare and buy health insurance.
Medicare.gov:Forms, Help & Resources
Medicare Part D Coverage
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid: Regulations and Guidance
Assisted Living Facilities: Tips for Choosing a Facility and Making the Transition
A Guide to Downsizing for Seniors and Their Loved Ones
Gardening for Beginners
Stress Management Guide for Seniors
Elderly Care House Design for Our Old Age
Budget-Friendly Smart Home Accommodations for Seniors and Individuals with Special Needs
Nutritional Needs for Seniors/p>
The 7 Worst Senior Exercises, and What to Do Instead
Guide to Traveling with Disabilities
National Council for Aging Care's guide on Elder Abuse:
Guide to Senior Safety At Home
Find assisted living, independent living,memory/alzheimer's care, retirement communities and more
Senior Care Resource Guide
Resources for Ensuring a Long, Happy and Healthy Life
Staying Healthy Over 50
Benefits of Swimming for Seniors
RBAssociation source for disability, retirement and Medicare guidance.
http://www.leiomyosarcoma.org/ provides information and news on causes and preventative treatments for Leiomyosarcoma, a type of malignant tumor that affects supportive tissues of the body.
Nursing Home Abuse Guide helps identify the many forms for nursing home abuse.
Nursing Home Abuse Center
NIHSeniorHealth makes aging-related health information easily accessible. This site was developed by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) and the National Library of Medicine (NLM) both part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Swimming and Water Aerobics Best Exercises for Seniors
Aging in Place at Home: The Definitive Guide Part 1
Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance is dedicated to serving mesothelioma victims and their families.
Mesothelioma Veterans Center
Mesothelioma + Asbestos Awareness Center is an online support and advocacy center that offers educational support to mesothelioma patients, family members, and caregivers.
Every Day Health
Home Improvement Resource Guide
Online Nursing Guide Basic First Aid Resources.
American Red Cross Top Ten Cold Weather Safety Tips.
National Institute on Aging Warning Signs of Hypothermia.
LifeScience Seven Scientific Tips for Staying Warm.
HealthinAging.org, is a website providing information on health and aging.
Nutritional Considerations for Seniors and the Elderly
14 Ways to Help Seniors Avoid Social Isolation .
Mental and Behavioral Health and Older Americans
Home Design for Fall Prevention for Seniors.
How Therapy Can Help in the Golden Years.
Traveling with a Medical Condition
Tips for Traveling With Diabetes
Information, Advocacy & Assistance Links:
ADA: Disabilities & Your Rights as an Employee
American Academy of Actuaries operates a pension assistance list of actuaries.
Articles for Seniors
Benefits Link is an independent website that provides free information and tools for benefit plan sponsors, service-providers and participants.
Benefitnews.com is a complete online resource for benefits and HR professionals.
Benefits CheckUpis a service to screen benefits for older adults.
Benefits Pro is the #1 online destination for benefits professionals.
Calculate Your Budget
Taking Care of YOU: Self-Care for Family Caregivers
Cato Institute is a public policy research organization dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace.
The Guide to Securing Life-long Accommodations for Adult Children with Special Needs
ConsumerDangers.Com is dedicated to protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of the thousands of types of consumer products.
Continuous Chest Compression CPR View a video to learn a hands-only CPR method that doubles a persons chance of surviving cardiac arrest.
CountyOffice.org is an Internet database of county government offices in the United States.
Debt Consolidation - The Best Practice
A Sobering Diagnosis: Coping with a Terminal Illness Diagnosis as a Recovering Addict
Grants for Home Modifications: 16 Resources for Homeowners with Disabilities
Renting with Disabilities
A Complete Guide to Service, Therapy and Emotional Support Dogs
Federal Service Dog Law in Plain English
Employee Benefit Research Institute is committed to original public policy research and education on economic security and employee benefits.
The ERISA Industry Committee (ERIC is dedicated exclusively to representing the employee benefits and compensation interests of Americas major employers.
Expertise is a website to revolutionize the way consumers and experts connect.
Free Resume Builder
Free Resume Templates
Guide to Retirement: Strategies for Retirement Investing
Older Adults’ Health and Age-Related Changes
Help with Paying Bills, a website that helps low income families with finding financial assistance programs.
Leadership Council of Aging Organizations (ICAO) is a large coalition of the nation's non-profit organizations serving older Americans.
Medicare Rights Center is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities through counseling and advocacy, educational programs and public policy initiatives.
OpenSecrets.Org is a comprehensive resource for federal campaign contributions, lobbying data and analysis.
National Pension Lawyers Network can refer retirees to employee-benefits lawyers in your area.
Nationwide Senior Guide
5 Part-Time Jobs for Retirees
Pension Help America is a product of the Pension Rights Center.
The Pension Rights Center protecting and promoting retirement security.
Guide to Attending a Sporting Event for Disabled, Special Needs & Senior Citizens
Re-entering the Workforce – Marketable Skills After 50
RetiredBrains is the largest independent job and information resource for retirees and people planning their retirement.
DIY Safety Tips for Seniors
United Benefits Advisors brings together the expertise, products, and services of many independent employee benefits firms.
Hear In America offers complimentary hearing screening and discounts on hearing aids.
Streaming Television Solutions for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Planning Your Doctor Visit
Assistance For Veterans
Veterans Car Donations/p>
Navy Credit Union Retirement Center provides information on saving for retirement and managing savings during retirement.
Veterans Administration can provide U.S. military veterans with services and benefits that can result in significant savings.
Veterans Health and Identification Card
Access VA Health Benefits
VA Dental Insurance Programs
VA Medical Benefits Package
Geriatrics and Extended Care
Home Health Care
VA Transportation Program
General Benefits Information
Burial and Memorial Benefits
Retirement Planning for Veterans provides guide to help Veterans with retirement planning.
American Addiction Centers helping combat veterans cope with the psychological and emotional trauma of their battlefield experiences and the toll it takes on their mental health.
WristbandSupplies.com helps small, non-profit Veteran organizations spread their cause with free custom wristbands.
Veteran Asbestos Exposure During Service
QuitDay.org helps veterans live longer and healthier.
Wounded Warrior Project provide programs and services to meet the needs of injured military service members.
Housing, Mortgage, Loan Information Links:
Housing & Mortgage Information for Seniors
Mortgage Calculators, Loan Rate, Brokers-Lenders & Financial Glossary
SeniorHomes.Com helps seniors and their families find housing and care for themselves.
Senior Discount Links:
Ambit Energy competitive rates.
Travel discounts on airfares, hotels, car rentals and vacation packages.
Restaurants / Retail and Apparel Discounts
Coupon Lawn presents a list of service providers and retailers that offer discounts exclusively to seniors.
Grocery / Travel / Entertainment Discounts
Get travel tips, trends and deals
Senior Discounts.com is an online directory of U.S. businesses that offer discounts to people 50 years of age and older. It currently list over 250,000 business locations, which include the contact information, discount information and other information necessary to receive each discount.
Brand’s Deals.com is a one-stop source for the latest coupons & deals from thousands of leading retailers.
Gift Card Granny.com is an onslaught of discounts for everything from groceries and clothing to travel and restaurants.
Discount Ideas From Members:
Discounts on Other Products and Services
ControlEnergy can provide savings on electricity and natural gas in certain states.
Kiplinger Retirement Freebies.
I have a membership to Citizen's Oil Co-Op which has its base in West Hartford, CT and also provides services in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I pay $20 a year (senior rate) for membership. I get discounts on oil and on my electric/generation service charge. I saved over $540 this year on oil alone. And I can save on the membership with 2 referrals to the organization. They also discount propane. Website is: http://oilco-op.com/. Toll free phone is: 1-860-561-6011.
Discount prices on reading glasses are available at Dollar Store , Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree , and Dollar General to name a few.
National Association of Area Agencies on Aging is an umbrella organization advocating to ensure that needed resources and support services are available to older Americans.
Prescription Drugs ideas provided by NRLN members.
- Here are two ways you can verify that your purchase of prescription drugs are from legitimate pharmacies:
- Check the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy’s website to see whether your pharmacy is a verified Internet practice pharmacy site.
- Visit LegitsScript and type in the website of the online pharmacy to see whether it’s approved.
- My Tier 4 prescription drugs are reduced by approximately 60% by using Canada Drugs. The website is: https://www.canadadrugs.com/; the toll free phone is: 1-800-226-3784; the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. The medicine is identical to that I receive in the U.S. Their service is excellent and it is ease talk with them. I use the Canadian pharmacy for long-term prescriptions and not for short-term prescriptions that one would take for the flu. The only negative is it takes longer to receive the prescription because it is mailed. However, with proper planning this is not a problem.
- Health Link offers a prescription drug savings card.
- Costco and Sam’s Club offer many prescription drugs at discounts without having to be a member. Simply enter the store and say you are going to the pharmacy. Or, you may order online without being a member. Costco toll free phone is: 1-800-607-6861; Costco Drug pricing webpage.
- Sam’s Club toll free phone is: 1-888-746-7726
- Discounts on many prescription drugs are offered by www.goodrx.com . You print the coupons for the pharmacy of your choice.
- Pharmacy Saver is a cost-savings prescription drug program available to Medicare Advantage plan members with Prescription Drug coverage. You may be able to pay less than your plan co-pay for your prescription drugs with the Pharmacy Saver program. To look up your prescription drugs and find a Pharmacy Saver location near you click here. .
- In Nov 2013 I paid a $200 copay for a 30 gram tube of Carac .5% Fluorouracil (manufactured by Valeant) and last month my dermatologist wrote a prescription for me to buy more from COSTCO. The news is:
Manufacture’s price to COSTCO (according to their pharmacist) for a 30 gram tube:
My copay – I did not ask
The COSTCO pharmacist offered a generic 30 gram tube of Fluorouracil .5%:
Price to COSTCO
My copay - $840
What a deal!
I called my dermatologist who referred me to Philidor Pharmacies (toll free phone: 1-855-744-5791; website: http://www.philidorrxservices.com) with pharmacies based in Hatboro, PA and Los Angeles, CA and Service Centers in Hatboro and Phoenix, AZ. Philador specializes in dermatological products that most Medicare D plans or other plans will not cover. Philador told me that they negotiate pricing with Valeant (and maybe others soon) who want to avoid distribution channel markups, including retail pricing for high cost drugs. Without the benefit if Medicare D or any other insurance, I paid $75 for the Carac brand, 30 grams, .5% and no charge 3-5 day delivery.
- Use the Medicare site every November and plug in all the drugs to get annual cost which can vary significantly between companies. Don't forget to check the mail order price which is usually much less. I have one plan for myself and another for my wife. My plan would cost more for the drugs she takes and visa versa. Don't just go with the plan you had last year. I think drug companies rely on automatic repeat business because it is a pain to understand the plan differences. I have changed several times over the years because the drug companies play games with pricing and placing drugs in tiers. There are no government guidelines for what drug goes in what tier. The same drug can be in different tiers based on dosage. I have to think the more popular doses would be in a higher tier.
- My wife was prescribed capsules for one of her meds. Capsules can be much more costly than tablets. Check with your doctor because frequently they aren't aware of these subtle facts.
- Extended Relief (ER) meds can cost more than taking the same drug several times a day. One of my meds was ER had a copay of $90. So I take a reduced dose which is non ER three times a day for $10 copay.
- If a drug is newly prescribed during the year and not on the formulary ask for an exception. I did that and they obliged. Don't be afraid to lean on them. They want your business. You can also ask for a tier reduction if the copay is high.
- Don't look at whether or not a company has a deductible. Look at the annual cost unless cash flow early in the year is a problem. One plan can have a deductible and larger monthly premium than other plans and still be the best on an annual basis.
- I spend about 20 hours a year working the ever changing Medicare D site. It is tedious but I like to know as much as I can. I have helped non computer literate friends of mine save a lot of money by getting them in the best plan for the meds they take.
- Massachusetts has a group of trained people called SHINE. They are required to train for 40 hours and are at senior center every year to assist in choosing a Medicare Part D plan.
- One thing I will recommend to all seniors on Medicare Part D, that enroll with a provider who has their primary medications in Tier 1. I discovered that different Medicare Part D providers put the same medication in different Tiers. A medication in Tier 1 is much cheaper than same medication in Tier 2. Also some providers reduce the cost to zero if 3 month’s supply is ordered with their mail order pharmacy. For example, I get Tamsulosin (generic for Flowmax) completely at zero cost form the Humana Medicare Part D plan.
Special Interests Links:
National and Local Weather
The Weather Channel
Word Press Sports Links
NCAA College Sports
Major League Baseball
National Football League
National Basketball Association
Professional Golf Association
Ladies Professional Golf Association
Access Hollywood http://www.accesshollywood.com/
Entertainment Tonight http://www.etonline.com/
Inside Edition http://www.insideedition.com/
People Magazine http://www.people.com/people/
US Magazine http://www.usmagazine.com/
Home, Cooking, Gardening, Arts & Crafts:
Home & Garden TV
Do It Yourself
Arts & Crafts
Preserving and Passing on Your Historic, Precious Heirlooms
Associated Press http://www.ap.org/
Bloomberg News http://www.bloomberg.com/news/
ABC News http://abcnews.go.com/
CBS News http://www.cbsnews.com/
NBC News http://www.nbcnews.com/
CNN News http://www.cnn.com/
Fox News http://www.foxnews.com/
MSNBC News http://www.msnbc.com/
PBS News http://www.pbs.org/
Financial News Links:
Bloomberg Financial News http://www.bloomberg.com/personal-finance/
CNBC Financial News http://www.cnbc.com/
Cost of Living Calculator https://www.moneygeek.com/cost-of-living-calculator/.
Fox Business News http://www.foxbusiness.com/index.html
Mortgage Refinancing Calculator https://www.moneygeek.com/mortgage/refinance/#Calculating-Your-Refinance
The Simple Dollar is ranked as a top-ten personal finance blog on Kiplinger.
The DealRoom http://www.firmex.com/thedealroom/ delivers relevant information on financial and legal issues.